Skip to main content

No. 42 and a grande double vanilla soy latte, no foam

Have you ever dropped by the local coffee shop and ended up chatting about college football with a fellow customer?

Has that customer ever just happened to be a FORMER PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES??!

That's what happened to my husband this morning.

Tim heard a rumor from his coworker that Bill Clinton was at a coffee shop across the pedestrian mall from his office, grabbed a print of a photo he'd taken of Clinton at an appearance a few months back, and strolled over to see if Mr. President (of the good ol' happy, prosperous, Iraq-war-less days) was indeed there.

In the shop he found a couple of Hillary's campaign workers, what appeared to be a few Secret-Service'ish fellows, and the Man from Hope himself. Tim walked up to him, said he needed to take the opportunity to shake Clinton's hand, and within minutes, they were sitting there yakking about the Missouri Tigers' and Arkansas Razorbacks' wins last weekend. I'm actually glad it wasn't me who ran into Bill. I'm not sure I would've been able to string two sentences together. Certainly not about Razorbacks football.

I don't know whether this brush with greatness (and in my book, he will always be one of our greatest leaders, regardless of interns and cigars and such) has earned Hillary a couple new caucus supporters. But it sure made our day. And I wasn't even there. I live vicariously through Tim's story. And the autographed photo he's bringing home to show me tonight.

And the hand that touched the HOB (hand of Bill) that Tim's promised not to wash. Just for me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
THAT IS SO COOL!!!!! Tim, you rock! And Amy - you rock more for telling us!!!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...