Skip to main content

Bad influence?

We try so hard.

We limit Henry's TV-watching time to about an hour a week, and only educational-ish, preschool-oriented materials. We emphasize how hurtful hitting and name-calling can be. We try not to even utter the word "gun" in our house.

Then he goes to school, and it all goes to hell.

Do you know what a Power Ranger is? My 3-year-old does. He has started picking out his clothes based on which Power Ranger he wants to be that day -- the red one, the blue one, the green one. He picks up his golf club or anything similarly shaped, makes a "ka-pow" noise and tells me that "this could be a gun, couldn't it Mommy?" He pulls back his arm then propels it forward, hurling an invisible object at me at the breakfast table, warning, "Hey Mommy, fireball comin' atcha."

To my knowledge, he has never watched this cartoon. He picked up this lingo and behavior by watching his little preschool buddies on the playground. All that cautious parenting...swirling right down the toilet.

So kids are kids, drawn to shoot 'em up and superpowers. How freaked out should I be? I did manage to give him the "we do not shoot people" speech and the "it's only pretend, in real life that will hurt people" line. But the boy has imaginary playmates and thinks Thomas the train actually talks. In a British accent, no less. I'm not sure my kid is capable of understanding the blurry line between fact and fantasy.

It's wild, though, how much influence peers have even at this young age. I shudder to think of what's to come: curfew, puberty, drugs.

I'm going to play pretend now. Pretend I didn't even bring this up.

Comments

Brianne said…
Sure he'll be able to distinguish fact and fantasy. He's only 4. I wonder what all we used to believe when we were 4.

It'll be fine. You guys are awesome parents. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.