Skip to main content

It was a dark and stormy night...

I'm a sucker for a trashy romance novel. It can be romantic suspense, historical gush, paranormal erotica, or the basis for the next Lifetime movie of the week. I'm not picky.

That said, I do have a few minor complaints about overused phrases, corny setups, and euphemisms for humans' nether regions. Not that I have room to criticize, when I've only written nine chapters of my supposed "Great American Novel" and the first chapter includes a wacky combination of protagonist, battery-powered romance aid, and a boatload of guilt over what's being done beneath Granny's hand-pieced quilt.

I happened across a readers' forum on Amazon.com, titled "Author Quirks We Notice & Love (Or Hate)." Can we say, "Critical, much?" Nothing gets past these militant romance readers. Still, I found myself laughing out loud and completely relating to many of their observations. We continue to read these authors despite the flaws, putting even more money in their stuffed pockets and rocketing them, once again, to the top of the NYT Bestseller list.

I'll share a few of the more common irritations. Even if you never read romances, you're allowed to guffaw. These are fairly heinous.

-- Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series is a guilty pleasure of mine. However, I'm glad to know I'm not the only person rolling her eyes at the oft-used description of yet another group of people sleeping in "warm puppy piles." As if she's trying to soften the fact that the main character is frequently at the center of an orgy that involves vampires and an assortment of wereanimals. Nothing screams romantic moment like puppies? Try again.

-- I agree with "Kyra," who made an observation about detesting when an author "constantly uses the same words and phrases. She gave one example from an unidentified book: undulate. "The heroine undulated. The hero undulated. The horizon undulated. The clouds in the sky undulated. And because it was a paranormal, at one point the HOUSE undulated. Good grief!"

-- "Bared her teeth"...can someone do this without looking like a) a chimpanzee or b) a horse?

-- She must live in the land of the Olympic-sized pool, because MaryJanice Davidson describes nearly every male character (main hero and minor player alike) as having "a swimmer's build." And Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita would be OK with that because, at least 10 times in every book, describes some sort of sexual position or situation or body type as being something "that just flat out does it for me." Who needs creativity when imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, especially when you imitate yourself!

-- Why are women always "mewling"? What IS that anyway?! I am pretty damn sure I've never mewled. At least I hope not.

-- Tender folds and throbbing manhood. 'Nuff said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...