Skip to main content

If you make a pass, it better be with a football...

I am so confused.

I know Larry Craig is even more confused than I am. But I'm still confused.

I'd like to know when it became a crime to make a move on someone.

See, allegedly this senator from Idaho was arrested for soliciting sex from an undercover cop in a bathroom at the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport.

First, who's to say this sex was supposed to take place in the bathroom. There was so much foot tapping and hand signaling apparently going on, maybe he was suggesting some sort of more private place to play. Second, no one actually had any sort of sex at all. He didn't grope anyone. He didn't even touch anyone at all from what I gather. Third, no one ever said anything about this being a prostitution sting, so no money was to change hands. It wasn't as though he were soliciting a prostitute for sex.

So what is the crime? If it were a crime to hit on someone, 99 percent of people in bars would get hauled off to the slammer. Beware, people. Flirting may be a felony. Where are cops when construction workers make lewd comments and hoot and whistle at a woman walking down the street? Come to think about it, I had a cop make a suggestive comment or two about a windy day and what was beneath my skirt when I was covering the police beat for the paper. No one reprimanded him. His cohorts probably high-fived him and placed bets about the color of my underwear.

Of course, this isn't about macho, hetero, chest-beating caveman behavior. This is about behavior that scares the cavemen, isn't it.

Minnesota...according to lectlaw.com, this is the state that as recently as 10 years ago had a law on the books that specified it was illegal for a man to have sexual intercourse with a live fish. If that's even anatomically possible. (Note: it does not appear to be illegal for a woman. For what that's worth.)

I think Minnesotans ought to worry more about saving themselves from collapsing bridges and massive flooding, and less about private behaviors between consenting adults.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...