Skip to main content

When you gotta go, you gotta go. Or not.

You'd think the boy sucks back water like a sponge, the way he desperately needs to pee SEVEN times after getting in bed.

I'm not kidding.

He doesn't actually urinate every time he makes the trek from his room to the toilet, but he certainly makes a production out of it.

KID: "Mommeeee, Daddeeee, gotta go potteeeeeee."
US: Sigh. "You know where it is."
KID: Stomps like King Kong thru the city streets, muttering in a smart-ass, whispered falsetto, "Youuu know where it isssss."
US: Bigger sigh. "You have five minutes."
KID: "Okaaaayyyyy" loud enough for the neighbors three houses over with their air conditioner on since February to hear. Then he pulls down his SpongeBob Square Pants underwear, wiggling them off one leg at a time, then flipping them off his foot high into the air with much bravado and shuffles and bangs around doing God-only-knows-what before stomping up the little wooden steps and slapping his butt down on the vinyl Bob the Builder potty seat ring on the big toilet.
US: Five minutes later "Ok, you done?"
KID: "No, gotta potty."
US: "Henry, hurry up."
KID: "OK, errrrgh."
US, to each other: "Gee, wonder where he got that."
KID: Five minutes later, wanders into the living room wearing nothing but his Cardinals World Series t-shirt and a smug grin, swinging his underpants from one finger, "Done. Here."
US: We help him put them on not because he needs our help, but because fighting it will only further drag out this already absurd nighttime ritual. "Go to bed. And go to sleep."

And so it goes. Over and over and again and again. Sometimes he mixes things up, just to keep us interested. Like, he might unwind an entire roll of toilet paper while he's sitting there waiting. Or he might actually pee.

I'd complain about this more, but after our poop problems from earlier in the year, this seems minor. I'd rather he try several times and not go than stay in bed and make a mess. I realize he's playing us like the off-key instruments we are, but things could be worse.

Last night, for instance, we got our wish. He went to bed and went right to sleep with only one quick, unproductive trip to the bathroom.

Monday morning, 5:40 a.m., we awoke to this:

KID: Mamaaaaaaaa, Daddeeeeeeee
US: Groan, "Whaaaatttt?"
KID: Hysterically screaming, "Mybediswetmybediswetmybediswetmybediswet!"

Comments

Brianne said…
I so can't wait for your book to come out. You're such an entertaining writer. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

Who knew...

'Tis the season for bridal bliss. 'Tis also the season for the accompanying reception dance. And what's a wedding reception without that most unique of all marriage celebration dance numbers: The Chicken Dance. You know the drill. Polka starts, beak-quacking hand gestures, flapping, butt shimmying, and clapping ensue. A fun time is had by all (especially if there's an open bar). What you may not know is that: 1. This oom-pah song's origins rest with a Swiss according player named Werner Thomas who wrote it, most accounts say, in the 1950s. It originally was called the Duck Dance. 2. It is NOT German or Austrian, despite the images its roll-out-the-barrel-ish feelings it might conjure up. 3. A fellow named Norm Edlebeck, who was a bandleader from Wisconsin, introduced America to the Chicken Dance on TV's PM Magazine in 1982. 4. More than 140 versions of it have been recorded worldwide, including Walt Disney Records, together making more than 40,000,000 records (o...