Skip to main content

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident.

And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our license plate number. I'm sure a poor customer starving inside got his eggs late and cold because of the delay.

I did, actually, receive a response from IHOP corporate headquarters via e-mail this morning. I was surprised, although it's a glorified bit of smoke-blowing. I have no faith that anything good will come of all this. And I truly will never step foot in their joint again. No matter how much they insist they want my faith in them restored.

Here's the e-mail: ,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us concerning your experience at the IHOP in Coralville. While it is always disappointing to learn that we have not lived up to our guest's expectations, it is invaluable to receive feedback so that we are able to continually improve our level of guest satisfaction.

We are sorry to learn of the service level you encountered at this franchised location. However, please be assured that the matter will be shared with the proper individuals to address your concerns.

I have forwarded your concerns to IHOP's Franchise Business Consultant for the North region. They will contact the franchise owner regarding your recent dining experience in this restaurant. We are confident that the franchise owner or his representative will contact you shortly. It is our hope that you will once again allow us to earn your trust.

Thank you for keeping us informed.

Sincerely,

Don Miller
Guest Services Representative
IHOP Restaurant Support Center

Comments

Very interesting. Well, it sounds like the matter isn't over from IHOP Corporate's perspective: "We are confident that the franchise owner or his representative will contact you shortly." It will be interesting to see what the franchise owner or his representative has to offer you to make right for this wrong.

On a side-note, I like the "IHATE" variation on "IHOP." I might open up the "IHOP" logo in Photoshop tonight and see what I can do here. Could be fun. I consider such activity as therapy when a major company offers you pain and headaches in exchange for your money. An outcome of some previous therapy I underwent is here.
Brianne said…
So they rushed out to grab your license plate info yet moved like molasses when it came to service?? I bet they made up a story about how horrible you guys were rather than taking responsibility for their own stupidity so they wouldn't get reprimanded.

That email from IHOP is a total form letter. THOSE are the people you should explain your last restaurant battle to.
Anonymous said…
You cant expect to have an excellent experience at every restaraunt you go to. Everyone has bad experiences, so I think you need to calm down and get over it.
Anonymous said…
And to add, restaraunt managers do not use a "form letter". Every letter is genuine. IHOP is different than most other restaraunts in their training and expectations of their employees. They have steps and points to hit at every table and it is hard! Unless you have been a server, you would never understand. Most customers are not patient. Things go wrong. The manager of the IHOp you had a bad experience is really sorry, they are not just saying to say it. You should give them another chance.
zebrat711 said…
With reference to form letters:
I recently received a letter fro IHP representative Don Miller in response to a complaint I made about a Florida IHOP. His letter is 'word for word' identical to the one I see listed in this post.....
Anonymous said…
I recently received an e mail from IHOP's Don Miller in reply to a complaint I made about a Florida IHOP. His form letter is word-for-word identical to the one I see in this post.......
Anonymous said…
I used to like ihop but after visiting the one in daytona beach across from the ocean walk i will never go back!!! on my visit we went there and the cook which was the general manager was cooking and didnt even know the plate set up he had to ask the server and was quite loud about his lack of ability I wonder how he can manage the place if he has such a lack of knowledge of the menu I suggest someone inform the owner or corp. to look into this i will ow never go there while my visits in daytona but i must add the server was very good and should get a job in a better place
Anonymous said…
the owner of the IHOP I worked at in West Springfield, MA charges us employees for mistakes made (full price)! It's an awful place to work! They make us take the coffee from pots of coffee that have been on the tables and pour it back in to the large pots swhere coffee is being made!And the list goes on!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel