Skip to main content

Customer service is a four-letter word. So's IHOP

I just got off the phone with the not-so-friendly general manager of our local IHOP, who called to talk about the complaint I filed.

So I launched into the tale, becoming more anxious and emotional by the moment. By the time I got to the part where the police called, I was practically spewing bile.

The man listened to me rant, then agreed that "if indeed" we had that kind of service, it was not acceptable. Sensing a "but" in here?

This is what he said: "If it were my family, if it had been me, I would have demanded to see the manager and stood up at the cash register until I saw him. I'm sure he would've made everything right, with a discount or something."

So apparently, calmly asking the waitress three times (THREE TIMES) to see the manager was where we went wrong in this situation. We should've thrown a holy-Mother-of-God fit in the middle of the restaurant, maybe with some stomping and yelling and cursing and pounding fists on the table. Demanded. My ass.

And of course he asked if there was anything he could do to change our minds about coming back to IHOP.

I said not a damn thing. I said every time we drive by the mall and see the IHOP, we're going to have negative feelings and say negative things about it. We're going to share our tale with all our friends and family (and anyone on the Internet who comes across this blog).

I do have to say that they were fairly quick to respond to our complaint. Happened on Sunday, got an e-mail and a phone call by Wednesday. Their service at the restaurant should be so quick -- although it literally FELT like we were there four days before we got our food.

IHOPE IHOP goes out of business.

Comments

Brianne said…
What a condescending asshole! What did he say when you told him you asked three times to see a manager? That manager was probably cowering in the back.

Unfortunately, a place like IHOP will not go out of business because there will always be kids and drunk people who go there at 2 in the morning or whenever. It's a shame.

I will never go there again though. I prefer Perkins anyway. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

Who knew...

'Tis the season for bridal bliss. 'Tis also the season for the accompanying reception dance. And what's a wedding reception without that most unique of all marriage celebration dance numbers: The Chicken Dance. You know the drill. Polka starts, beak-quacking hand gestures, flapping, butt shimmying, and clapping ensue. A fun time is had by all (especially if there's an open bar). What you may not know is that: 1. This oom-pah song's origins rest with a Swiss according player named Werner Thomas who wrote it, most accounts say, in the 1950s. It originally was called the Duck Dance. 2. It is NOT German or Austrian, despite the images its roll-out-the-barrel-ish feelings it might conjure up. 3. A fellow named Norm Edlebeck, who was a bandleader from Wisconsin, introduced America to the Chicken Dance on TV's PM Magazine in 1982. 4. More than 140 versions of it have been recorded worldwide, including Walt Disney Records, together making more than 40,000,000 records (o...