Skip to main content

Check out his dismount

We just enrolled our son in his first semi-organized sport. He's built like a linebacker (an incredibly, unbelievably SHORT linebacker, but still...) and he has all the grace of a chicken with its knees tied together, but he is now a proud, preschool...

GYMNAST.

I have no illusions that he will become addicted to scissor kicks on the pommel horse or will dream of Olympic gold doing an Iron Cross on the rings. I'll just be happy if we can get through the summer with no major injuries. I really hope he understands that he is not allowed to do flips off the furniture or cartwheel down the staircase.

And I'm so very happy that he is a boy. If he were a girl, he'd be obsessed with having a closet full of sequined leotards and shiny matching hair scrunchies. Most days, I'm not sure he's aware that he has clothes on at all. His grungy t-shirts and sweat shorts will do just fine.

We watched his first class. There were only two students -- H and the boy Tim and I have taken to calling "The Monkey." Maybe some of that agility will rub off on H. We can hope. Or maybe hope not. At any rate, he seemed to have fun. He grinned the entire 45 minutes. And he learned what seems to be the most important move in gymnastics -- raising hands in the air, arching the back and smiling for the "judges." He did it after every single activity. He might have just face planted in a pile of mats, but up he popped right up with those arms held high, toothy grin prominently displayed.

Eat your heart out Bart Conner.

Perhaps the very best part of the class came a day later, when H was talking about his new sporting activity:

H: Mommy, when we going to Junenastics again?
Me: (Laughing) On Monday. And it's GYMnastics.
H: No. It's June, so it's Junenastics.
Me: (Laughing harder) So what is it going to be in July?
H: Julynastics.

Oh. Of course.

Comments

Brianne said…
That totally just made my day. :) How utterly ADORABLE!!!!

Junenastics.. Love the fact that he always pops up with a grin, too. That's awesome.

Do they have one of those foam pit things????

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.