Skip to main content

The Lost Weekend

It wasn't bad enough that we spent most of Friday evening holding Henry's head while he heaved into a pan.

Or that Tim was already under the weather with a nasal/throat ailment when this latest germfest hit.

Or that I spent the entire weekend watching Curious George, Thomas, Bob the Builder, America's Funniest Home Videos, The Grinch, and Cars. Twice.

Or that just when we thought H was feeling better on Sunday morning, barf fest. All over the couch. And all over Mommy.

Or that Henry, the child who refuses to poop in the potty, asked to go poop in the potty about 73 times on Sunday afternoon. Meaning he either loves the feeling of his pullup and pj bottoms going on or off or we now have a most splendid case of constipation (which will require a trip to the store for suppositories and yet another round of high drama).

No, none of that was bad enough. Maggie, our 15-pound Killer canine, thought she'd amuse us and herself by playing with what I thought was her cute little toy purse. Thought. Yes. Thought. In reality...I learned otherwise, as I stepped closer to grab it and took a closer look at it in the light which had been dimmed to help relax our patient(s). That's when I screamed and ran backwards into the kitchen. Those weren't purse handles. Those were spindly bird legs hanging out one side of Maggie's mouth. Dead bird legs. At least, I hoped it was dead. I screamed again and jumped up and down as a signal to Tim that he'd better get that avian-flu-hosting creature out of my living room...YESTERDAY.

It must not have been a very tasty bird (Do Sparrows taste better than Robins? How do Chickadees compare with Wrens? Do they all taste like chicken?) because she immediately dropped it when we tempted her with a Milk Bone. I'm not sure how Tim disposed of it, but he did feel the need to inform me that the bird was cold and may have been dead for a while. Although it wasn't rigid. Yes. Aren't you, too, glad to know that?

For much of this weekend, my stomach felt woozy. I think it's more the power of suggestion than a real illness. I'm not taking chances. As soon as H goes to bed tonight, so will I, hopefully fighting off any possible bugs. Or birds. Or bird-killing dogs.

Plus, I'll be well-rested for the 2 a.m. call from Henry's bedroom: "Mommy...I feel sicky...bleeaaacchhhhhhhhh..."

Comments

Brianne said…
Awww sorry to hear they feel so terrible. :(

Maggie likes birds huh? The pups like bunnies. And birds. I think they'd get along well. :) That is so, so gross though.

Cheer yourself up! Bake some of these brownies by Paula Dean. I tried one today and they are yumm-my.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_35336,00.html?rsrc=search

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

Who knew...

'Tis the season for bridal bliss. 'Tis also the season for the accompanying reception dance. And what's a wedding reception without that most unique of all marriage celebration dance numbers: The Chicken Dance. You know the drill. Polka starts, beak-quacking hand gestures, flapping, butt shimmying, and clapping ensue. A fun time is had by all (especially if there's an open bar). What you may not know is that: 1. This oom-pah song's origins rest with a Swiss according player named Werner Thomas who wrote it, most accounts say, in the 1950s. It originally was called the Duck Dance. 2. It is NOT German or Austrian, despite the images its roll-out-the-barrel-ish feelings it might conjure up. 3. A fellow named Norm Edlebeck, who was a bandleader from Wisconsin, introduced America to the Chicken Dance on TV's PM Magazine in 1982. 4. More than 140 versions of it have been recorded worldwide, including Walt Disney Records, together making more than 40,000,000 records (o...