Skip to main content

Ho-Ho-Ho

Merry Christmas!

No. You didn't oversleep. No. You didn't time travel. No. I'm not losing it (at least not in this particular instance).

This afternoon, my husband, son and I will celebrate the holiday together as a family, opening gifts, drinking Nog and singing carols. Because we live away from our families, and have for the entire time we've known each other, Tim and I have become rather flexible about traditions. That is, we don't really have any. Not having traditions IS our tradition -- we're fly-by-the-seat-of-our-sleigh kinda folks.

Santa will still visit Henry on Christmas Day at Grandma and Grandpa's house in Kansas. Santa's the one constant, the one sure thing, in our holiday plans. We've been pukey on Christmas, we've been in Utah and Kansas and Missouri and Iowa (not at the same time, mind you), we've had snow and ice and rain and sun, we've done turkey and ham and one year -- long before I knew Tim -- my mom even did lasagna (for which, she is still receiving much grief).

My point with all this rambling is that while tradition is all well and good, some of the best memories (or at least most memorable times) can come from bucking tradition.

So enjoy your moments this holiday season. Stick a bow on your head, belt out "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" and hope those eggs in the Nog have been pasteurized.

Merry Christmas!

Comments

Brianne said…
Well Merry Christmas!!!!

When was the lasagna year? I'm not sure I remember that.

One of the presents I wrapped for Henry, I labeled from Santa. That's okay with you guys isn't it? Brett told me I should make sure. ;) If it's not, it's cool.

Have fun tonight!
FletcherDodge said…
FYI... in case you hadn't seen it, you've been tagged...another book meme

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

Who knew...

'Tis the season for bridal bliss. 'Tis also the season for the accompanying reception dance. And what's a wedding reception without that most unique of all marriage celebration dance numbers: The Chicken Dance. You know the drill. Polka starts, beak-quacking hand gestures, flapping, butt shimmying, and clapping ensue. A fun time is had by all (especially if there's an open bar). What you may not know is that: 1. This oom-pah song's origins rest with a Swiss according player named Werner Thomas who wrote it, most accounts say, in the 1950s. It originally was called the Duck Dance. 2. It is NOT German or Austrian, despite the images its roll-out-the-barrel-ish feelings it might conjure up. 3. A fellow named Norm Edlebeck, who was a bandleader from Wisconsin, introduced America to the Chicken Dance on TV's PM Magazine in 1982. 4. More than 140 versions of it have been recorded worldwide, including Walt Disney Records, together making more than 40,000,000 records (o...