Skip to main content

Where, o where has my Little H gone?

To whomever came in the middle of the night and took my sweet, charming child and replaced him with the devil's spawn...I'd like Henry back, please.

Within a 24-hour period, my 35-month-old, cherubic son went from happy, easy-going and delightful to mean, nasty, whiny and pretty much insufferable. And it lasted all freaking weekend.

We tell him to do something. He does the exact opposite.
We talk to him, he sasses back.
We ask him if he wants to eat, he whines "NOOOOOOOOOO" so we take the food away, and he breaks down into a wailing, kicking, screaming fit, saying "I wannnnnnaaaaaa eat."
We ask him if he needs to go potty. He says no. One minute later he says, "I'm wet."
In the midst of all this, he stomps around the house like elephants on parade, yelling and throwing toys and hitting people -- mostly me -- and trying to kick the dog.
Despite the fact that he makes a big production of sighing and saying, "I'm tired," he won't go to sleep without more whining and bawling. And he wakes up every night at 2 a.m. saying...strike that...WHINING... that he wants to go to bed with us and he wants a drink and he wants to eat and he wants to play.

And if he wants to drive me to drink or up a wall or off a cliff, well, he's doing a fine job of it.

I finally called the pediatrician's office today and talked to a nurse who did her best not to laugh in my ear as she tried gently to remind me that, LADY you have a 2-year-old who's acting like a 2-year-old.

Maybe, but he's not acting like MY 2-year-old.

We've discussed the possibilities that he may have an ear infection or be a little stressed out about the potty training (God knows I am). Or there could be, she said, some other reason why he's not acting himself. Strep throat. Constipation. Maybe his clothes are scratchy. That last one was my suggestion, just to join in her fun little diagnosis game.

So I broke down and scheduled him with the staff doc tomorrow, so they can take his temp and look in his throat and conclude that it's all in my head. Maybe that explains my throbbing temples and the aching, clenched jaw.

Comments

Brianne said…
Looks like the terrible 2's came a bit late, eh? I bet it's just a phase. Hang in there and try not to go too nuts. ;) You'll have your charming H back in no time. Not that I have ANY experience with this whatsoever but it's just a hunch.

I remember one babysitting job where AS SOON AS Mom left, this baby girl (between 8 months and a year I believe) started to SCREAM. And did not stop for one minute until Mom got back. THREE SOLID HOURS of screaming. Oh my god. I could barely handle that. Clearly I am not ready for a kid of my own. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.