Skip to main content

Come out, come out wherever you are...

If you've flung open that closet door and stepped forth with gusto, then congratulations on your honesty and bravery.
If you're still hiding behind a row of hanging clothes and hoping no one peeks in, there's still time.

We're smack dab in the middle of National Coming Out Week.

Even those of us who are happily heterosexual can take part in the week by learning more about the lives of GLBT people and how we can support them.

The Human Rights Campaign Foundation has on its Web site a wealth of resources related to Coming Out. There's a "Straight Person's" guide to GLBT Americans and a video in honor of Coming Out Day with insights from such notables as President Bill Clinton, Comedienne Ellen Degeneres, Singer Janet Jackson and Actor Jake Gyllenhaal. The site also touches upon issues of religion, offers a Coming Out resource guide and features a link to download a Human Rights Campaign screen saver.

You also can find out more on how to participate in the first online public art project encouraging Americans to "Talk About It." The project celebrates gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and straight Americans who support living openly and talk about the things that make us all different, as well as the ways we are all the same.

And then, after all this figuring out that I'm this and she's that, and he's something else, and you-know-who is you-know-what, maybe we should all take note of a comment I once read...

Labels are for filing. Labels are for clothing. Labels are not for people. -- Martina Navratilova


Find the courage to find yourself, and be true to that self. That's what matters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...