Skip to main content

What on Earth have we done?!

What?
That can't be.
Say it isn't so.

Yesterday, a news headline shook my world - indeed, my entire universe - to its core. The International Astronomical Union announced that after 76 years as one of the nine planets in our Solar System, it turns out that Pluto is not actually a planet.

According to Wikipedia, a planet within our solar system is defined by the International Astronomical Union as a "celestial body that is in orbit around the Sun, has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and has cleared the neighborhood around its orbit."

Somewhere along the line Pluto failed some galactical test and no longer fits that definition. While it does orbit the Sun and has that sufficient mass, it apparently doesn't fulfill the third condition: who are the celestial bodies in your neighborhood (sing along, Sesame Street fans!). It has been reclassified as a "dwarf planet."

I won't get into questions as to whether the use of the word "dwarf" is politically correct. Perhaps we should call it a "little" planet. I'm simply not ready to yank it from the list I learned in Mrs. Johnston's second-grade class, while sitting beneath a large mobile of varying-sized and -colored spheres suspended from the ceiling.

Mercury - smallest planet
Venus - brightest object in the night sky, after the Moon
Earth - our orb
Mars - where girls go to get more candy bars
Jupiter - where boys go to get more stupider
Saturn - the funky one with the rings
Uranus - be careful how you pronounce this one
Neptune - named after the Roman god of the sea

PLUTOPLUTOPLUTO!!! Even though it's a little guy, said to have an eccentric orbit, and it has three big moons. It also is named after a Roman god. Mickey Mouse's dog shares its name, for pete's sake. And the way we remember the names and order of the planets will never be the same without the P of Pluto. Imagine life without these mnemonic aids:

My Very Educated Mother Just Showed Us Nine Planets
Mother Very Easily Made a Jam Sandwich Using No Peanut-butter
Mary's Violet Eyes Make John Stay Up Nights, Period
My Very Elegant Mother Just Served Us Nine Pies
My Very Easy Method: Just Set Up Nine Planets
Mary Very Early Makes Jesus Study Until Night Prayers

The first spacecraft scheduled to visit Pluto is already on its way there. The mission launched last January; the closest approach to Pluto is estimated to be July 14, 2015. I wonder if NASA will try to figure out a way to turn the craft around and bring it home. Now that snooty stargazer types say Pluto isn't worth the effort.

Comments

Brianne said…
I totally agree. "Planet" is still part of its classified name. Why remove it from The Nine?? I personally refuse to acknowledge this radical decision.

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.