Skip to main content

Obsessive

Kids are so cute. So funny. So quirky. So inquisitive.

Well, that's everyone else's kid. The thing my kid is doing would be so adorable and charming and hysterical if it were someone else's kid. My Henry? I think he's obsessive compulsive. Is there really any other way to explain...

"The Checking of the Toe Fuzz"

Every night. Methodically. For hours if we'd let him.

He sits on the potty, completely naked, and one by one looks between each toe on each foot, in search of lint or strings or dirt or goo or whatever might have found its way in the crevices of a 2-year-old's tootsies.

Ask him what he's doing and he'll mumble, "checkin' for fuzz," while straining to pull one digit away from another and peer around the fatty roll of a middle toe for a glimpse at some gray-blue fibers that must have been deposited from his favorite Elmo socks.

Once he gets both feet checked, he'll check again. Wouldn't want to miss any bit of anything.

A second check might lead to a third. Or if he's somehow distracted, he'll move his search to other parts of his body. His belly button's a prime place for fuzz. Maybe behind his ear. Definitely his nose, although it's more likely to result in a big crusty green booger on the end of his picker finger than any fuzzy deposits.

A new favorite spot for fiddling with fuzz is the boy's penis. Diaper fibers seem to slough off regularly and adhere themselves to the end of his penis, causing him to pull and tug, pick and squish, sometimes so forcefully that my husband must leave the room, grimacing and reaching for his own crotch as a protection reflex.

Will this pass, like a phase or a 24-hour bug? Or is this how an affliction of OCD begins? How much longer before he insists all the fringe on the throw rug be straightened? Before all of his construction vehicles must be lined up in a perfectly straight line? Before his Weebles must be placed in exact spots in their Weeblevillage to maintain proper balance?

I wish he'd be this obsessive about cleaning his dinner plate or keeping his toys from being scattered all over the two floors of the house. Or about not tracking dog poop in on his sport sandals from Maggie's back yard mine field.

I can live with the fuzz-checking. As long as he's not someday keeping his prom date waiting while he spreads his toes for inspection.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Don't worry... the phase passes. Kinley used to do the same thing, but she would not only check for her own toe fuz but mine and Jaspers and even Regans too!!
Brianne said…
Ahhh at this hour of the morning when I am not fully recuperated from yesterday - I needed a good laugh. :) hahaha "checkin' for fuzz" This is one of those stories that you can tell him when he's older and just laugh. I agree with Crystal - I think it's a phase and not an OCD thing. I say just enjoy the quirkiness of it.

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.