Skip to main content

Stupidity and Other Wacky Stuff

I love NewsoftheWeird.com.

As reported in the Tampa Tribune, two gym teachers in Pensacola, Fla., were arrested recently and charged with bribery. Their alleged crime? Police say they allowed students to avoid gym classes by paying the teachers money. They were collecting $1 per student and one teacher admitted to making at least $230. I think those students are brilliant. I'd have paid at least $5 to skip gym. In fact, I do that now. I pay $40 a month to the gym, yet rarely go.

Yet another reason to make fun of Utah. Station KTVX-TV in Salt Lake City reported that a high school student who was bitten by a rattlesnake had been warned by his friend to avoid it. This student's quote? "Even though she told me not to, I picked it up anyway. I'm not too bright that way." Ya think?

And another. A jewelry designer in Salt Lake City has begun offering jeweled brooches featuring brightly colored Swarovski crystals affixed to a live, 3-inch-long Madagascar hissing cockroach. Ok. Compose Yourselves. There's more. The wearer of the brooch can allow this cockroach to roam a short distance around her dress or jacket via a silver chain attached to the roach's back. And that's not all. The jewelry costs $80. An animal rights spokesperson told the New York Post that the brooch is "just the gift...for the person who doesn't mind a small animal excreting on them throughout the day." Now go take a shower, then buy some Raid.

One other quirky bit. Did you know that the San Francisco Chronicle's weird news column is titled...The Bondage File? There's a punch line in there somewhere.

Comments

Brianne said…
I've seen those brooches before. Granted they were on the contestants of America's Next Top Model for a runway show of a designer who is known for his wacky antics (and clothes) - those crazy designers. But that's not something I would expect to see off the runway. Ick. hehe That episode was funny though... one girl totally freaked out.
Anonymous said…
Did you see the article in the Gazette today - the title:
"Man accused of kidnapping teen found naked on roof"

Do you know which one was naked?

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...