Skip to main content

Don't mess with a good thing...

After all the hype, all the protests, all the buzz, I wasn't sure I'd even bother. But I did it.

I saw The DaVinci Code.

And my thoughts?

Good, but not the best movie I've ever seen. Some nice action, engaging cinematography, solid acting. By everyone except Tom Hanks.

He tried too hard. In portraying Robert Langdon as a reserved professorial type, he went too far and seemed distant and bored. I didn't buy the chemistry between him and Sophie Neveu. And he didn't look anything like I'd pictured in my mind. I think it's an example of bad casting. They wanted a big name, a box office draw. But this movie could've worked with an unknown actor. It's not like no one would've gone to see it. This book has been on the bestseller list (or many times topping it) for three years. Second in sales only to the Bible itself.

I hate seeing terrific books made into mediocre movies. There have been many. Bridges of Madison County. The Horse Whisperer. Angela's Ashes. The Bonfire of the Vanities (another weak Hanks offering). The Great Gatsby. A Perfect Storm. For starters.

I know that I'll get critics pointing out the books-to-movies that scored big at the box office and at the awards shows. Out of Africa. World According to Garp. Forrest Gump (Hanks redeems himself). To Kill a Mockingbird. The Wizard of Oz. There are many more.

My husband and I set an unwritten rule long before DaVinci Code was relased: that we would not go see any movies that are based on books. We both broke that rule this weekend when we saw the adaptation of Dan Brown's novel on the big screen.

I want to experience the book again. I can't say the same for the film.

Comments

Brianne said…
I felt the same way. Although I'm going so far as to say the movie was awful. Truly awful. I feel like I need to redeem myself for seeing that atrocity by reading the book again immediately to erase all memories of the movie.

We almost walked out. Brett went and got $20 out of the ATM to reimburse me for the money I wasted on the tickets. The only reason I didn't want to leave was I wanted to see the last scene (which, in our opinions, they took just a step too far).

And I totally agree with you on the miscasting of Tom Hanks. I love Tom Hanks. He is one of my favorite actors. But something just never clicked with him and the character. Ever. Oh good god that was simply painful.
FletcherDodge said…
I just picked up the book for the first time on Saturday. I think this officially makes me the last person in the known universe to read it.

I gotta say, 30 chapters in, I don't get what all the hubub is about. Sure, it's a good yarn, but I haven't read anything that I would consider controversial.

Probably won't see the movie until it comes out on video (or on HBO).

BTW- I thought the movie version of The Great Gatsby was pretty true to the book (which I really liked).

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.