Skip to main content

Historic? You bet.


I've been scoffed at when describing the mangled DQ "historic". As you might read in the other comment, my friend Jenni explained that indeed, it was historic. Right down to its authentic, original ice cream cone lighted sign out front. Now that's about all that's left. People were standing around in the destruction, not sure what to do with themselves, having lost their roofs, their walls, their livelihoods.

Almost immediately after the sirens sounded the all clear, neighbors ventured from their safe places to take in others who'd been less fortunate. They called to check on each other. People who once lived here called and emailed when they heard the news reports to see what they could do to help. That's what kind of people we have here in our town. People who help each other, take care of each other, love and protect each other.

We have 20,000 undergraduates here at the University, and when the storm hit right in the middle of their apartments and homes, the University President immediately canceled classes and opened up emergency shelters for them, with help from the Red Cross. These kids were walking around dazed, down streets lined with snapped tree limbs and fallen street lights, sheets of pink insulation and random 2 by 4s.


My Honda dealership took a hit.
Happy Joe's Pizza? Not so happy. The building behind it seems to have FALLEN on it.
Nearly every downtown building sustained serious structural or vicious cosmetic damage.
St. Pat's Church. What can I say....it's EASTER Sunday. So not fair I can't begin to fathom....


Again, I have to say I'm surprised and relieved that no lives were lost. At least none I've heard as of right now. As I drove to an appointment this a.m., and went through the downtown area, it seemed like a war zone. Police and national guard directing traffic. Debris everywhere. People milling around with stunned, lost looks.

We'll be ok. I'm so glad I live here. It's a beautiful place. No matter what.

***Thanks to the Press-Citizen for its excellent coverage and its stunning photography. For complete details and a photo gallery, go to www.press-citizen.com

Comments

Jenni said…
Awwwww, you're so sweet! I'm going to take a walk downtown and take more pics later this afternoon or early evening. Did T wish he'd had his camera with him when he spotted the funnel cloud last night?
Brianne said…
I was reading a story about this storm. Did you know that three tornadoes touched down? That is crazy. Ironic too, because last night I was watching "The Day After Tomorrow" and stopped the movie after the part with the L.A. tornadoes. Creepy. Also, I read that there was one fatality - a woman in a trailor park. But that's all I've read so far. You do live in a great town.

It is too bad that T didn't have his camera on him. That would've been a great photo; but I'm MORE glad that he made it to safety. How's Henry doing?

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.