Skip to main content

The first step

I'm not sure how big a secret it ever was. It's not like I actively hid it. People who are close to me have known about my clinical depression since I was officially diagnosed four years ago. And some of those people probably knew it before the doctors ever put a label on it.

But it wasn't the first thing I mentioned to new friends or coworkers. I'm not sure anyone in my new office has any idea. Millions of Americans have dealt with serious depression, and almost everyone has moaned "I'm so depressed" at least once, whether distraught over a relationship break-up or simply the fact that Diet Crystal Pepsi went off the market (yeah, bummed me out, too).

This new wrinkle -- in the already wadded-up-in-the-bottom-of-the-hamper-linen-suit known as my mental health -- has even me freaked out.

Depression, while serious and potentially debilitating or even life-threatening, has advertising. It has a cute little cartoon bubble that bounces around on screen sighing and frowning until -tahdah- he's back to his bubbling smiley self thanks to wonder drug Zoloft. "When you know more about what's wrong, you can help make it right..."

There's no mass-market, touchy-feely, make-it-all better consumer gimmick for bipolar disorder. It's often a disease linked to or studied in conjunction with schizophrenia - the "s" word of mental illness that invokes the image of wide-eyed, sweaty, unkempt, hallucinating individuals who sit rocking and mumbling in the corner of an asylum somewhere. (Or perhaps I have watched one too many movies on Lifetime-Television-for-Women.)

There's a site on the web, NAMI.org, which is the National Alliance for Mental Illness, that has an entire section on fighting the stigma of mental illness.

I guess one of the first ways to fight the stigma is to be open about mental illness. To not be afraid to talk about it or to tell people. It's a natural human instinct to hide one's faults from another. Then again, it's not a fault. That's like saying someone who has cancer or an autoimmune disorder or suffers a heart attack has a "fault."

It is what it is. I am what I am.

Comments

FletcherDodge said…
Amy,
I'm learning more and more how common this kind of thing is. I just found out last Friday that a very good friend of mine takes anti-depresant drugs -- and he's someone who always seems to be in a good mood.

Good luck and please let us know if there's any way we can help.
Brianne said…
I say take it with stride. Another of those darned easier-said-than-done phrases, I know. I think that it's much easier for people to accept such a facet of a person if: 1) they know that person (it absolutely does nothing to change the way I see you, Aunt Amy!! You know I love you) and 2) if that person is indeed NOT disheveled, rocking in a chair, mumbling to themselves with a crazy gleam in their eye all the time. And geez, I thought you of all people would keep in mind that movies (even if they ARE on Lifetime) perpetuate perceived stereotypes. :) You are still Amy. And I love ya! muah!

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.