Skip to main content

I don't know where to begin...

I completely understand why murder victims' families and friends would want to kill the person who heinously took their loved ones away. If someone harmed my son, husband, siblings, parents...hey, if someone shot my dog...I'd want revenge.

Still, how can we tell the world that killing is wrong, then punish the guilty by killing them? I'm still wondering how I'm going to explain this to my son someday when he's "old enough to understand." I'm 34, and I sure don't get it.

Compounding my confusion is the latest death-row saga, as California's oldest condemned inmate was given a lethal injection overnight. I'm trying to figure out the moral of this tale.

Death row elder needed 2 injections
Wednesday, January 18, 2006; Posted: 9:48 a.m. EST (14:48 GMT)

SAN QUENTIN, California (AP) -- With the help of four big prison guards, Clarence Ray Allen shuffled from his wheelchair to a gurney inside San Quentin's death chamber early Tuesday, a day after his 76th birthday. Despite the fact he had suffered a heart attack only months before, the barrel-chested prisoner's heart proved strong right to the end: Doctors had to administer a second shot of potassium chloride to stop it. Allen had asked prison authorities to let him die if he went into cardiac arrest before his execution, a request prison officials said they would not honor.

"At no point are we not going to value the sanctity of life," said prison spokesman Vernell Crittendon. "We would resuscitate him," then execute him.


Just the first of many observations I've made from this:

Our country does not allow physician-assisted suicide for terminally ill patients who want to take control of their destiny before their illness rots away their withering bodies and leaves them to suffer in an agonizing, pain-searing earthly purgatory before passing.*

However, because we so value the "sanctity of life," if you're a feeble, elderly condemned man and begin to pass away naturally, we'll revive you...so that we may stick lethal poisons in your system and have the pleasure of killing you ourselves -- twice if we have to.

Welcome to America.

(*The U.S. Supreme Court this week ruled in favor of allowing states to decide whether to enact legislation allowing physician-assisted suicide, upholding the wishes of Oregon voters.)

Comments

Brianne said…
The hypocrisy is unbelievable.
FletcherDodge said…
Not to mention the fact that it's easier to get an abortion than it is to kill a grown adult legally.

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

Who knew...

'Tis the season for bridal bliss. 'Tis also the season for the accompanying reception dance. And what's a wedding reception without that most unique of all marriage celebration dance numbers: The Chicken Dance. You know the drill. Polka starts, beak-quacking hand gestures, flapping, butt shimmying, and clapping ensue. A fun time is had by all (especially if there's an open bar). What you may not know is that: 1. This oom-pah song's origins rest with a Swiss according player named Werner Thomas who wrote it, most accounts say, in the 1950s. It originally was called the Duck Dance. 2. It is NOT German or Austrian, despite the images its roll-out-the-barrel-ish feelings it might conjure up. 3. A fellow named Norm Edlebeck, who was a bandleader from Wisconsin, introduced America to the Chicken Dance on TV's PM Magazine in 1982. 4. More than 140 versions of it have been recorded worldwide, including Walt Disney Records, together making more than 40,000,000 records (o...