Skip to main content

Feline friend

We're all very sad this morning. We have to put my kitty Dolce down. We thought the feeding tube we had placed on Monday might help her, but last night, she wouldn't move and didn't want to be held, and at one point we found her hiding in a bunch of junk in a box that we were going to take to Goodwill. And then she had diarhhea several times in the night, around the house. We felt that she was trying to tell us something. This is not a thing I take lightly. Helping a sick animal pass on is just about the hardest decision I've ever had to make. I realize that at some point, it has to stop being about me and what I want - to keep her forever - and think about her quality of life. She just seemed so tired and sick. I don't want her to be sick and in pain anymore.

Tim has been so wonderful, taking her to the vet when I can't and being supportive of the feeding tube and of trying anything that might make her better -- even though he wasn't the one who really wanted a cat in the first place. I really appreciate that.

I remember taking Dolce home from the pet rescue, how loving and sweet she was. That's how she got her name. She was just the most affectionate cat and really helped fill a spot in my heart that was left so empty with Ansel's passing. Maybe Ansel can hang out with her for a while and show her the ropes, even tho she IS a cat. It's amazing how pets become such a part of your life. They really are so much more than pets - they truly are companion animals.

I will miss my companion. Very much.

Comments

Brianne said…
Aww I'm really sorry to hear that you have to take that step. But you're making it easier on Dolce at least.
Anonymous said…
I have been thinking about you ALL DAY, Amy. I am so, so sorry about Dolce. I have been shedding tears and commiserating. I send you heart's ease.
And, whether it's today or a few days from now, I hope you have a Happy Birthday. I know I'M glad you were born.
I love you, Amy.

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

Who knew...

'Tis the season for bridal bliss. 'Tis also the season for the accompanying reception dance. And what's a wedding reception without that most unique of all marriage celebration dance numbers: The Chicken Dance. You know the drill. Polka starts, beak-quacking hand gestures, flapping, butt shimmying, and clapping ensue. A fun time is had by all (especially if there's an open bar). What you may not know is that: 1. This oom-pah song's origins rest with a Swiss according player named Werner Thomas who wrote it, most accounts say, in the 1950s. It originally was called the Duck Dance. 2. It is NOT German or Austrian, despite the images its roll-out-the-barrel-ish feelings it might conjure up. 3. A fellow named Norm Edlebeck, who was a bandleader from Wisconsin, introduced America to the Chicken Dance on TV's PM Magazine in 1982. 4. More than 140 versions of it have been recorded worldwide, including Walt Disney Records, together making more than 40,000,000 records (o...