Skip to main content

Noah Scott

Baby Noah Scott's funeral was this weekend. He was 4 lbs., and he was 17 inches long when he was born two months early. I spoke with his aunt tonight, and she explained a little more about what happened. I guess that Noah had a fully functional brain stem, which allowed his heart to beat and his limbs to move - even if only voluntarily - so they did not suspect problems. However, his brain never developed. Results of the partial autopsy, and chromosomal and other genetic testing haven't come in yet. Doctors think it was just one of those "fluke" things...but right now it isn't feeling like a "fluke" - that word somehow trivializes it, sounds too flip and fleeting. The family's pain will continue for a long time, maybe forever.

An interesting note to this all: Because K was to deliver at a Catholic hospital, they initally refused to do a c-section to take the baby because, hospital officials explained, there wasn't immediate danger to the baby. To remove the baby at that point, they said, would have been considered a late-term abortion. They eventually changed their minds when it was determined that the amniotic fluid was low and that inducing labor and delivering naturally would put too much stress on the baby and be a potential danger to baby (oh, and mom, too, in case anyone cares). So they gave in and let her have the c-section. K and her family were ready to go to a different, nondenominational hospital, and pay out of their own pocket rather than force K to wait another two months to have a baby that everyone knew had no chance for survival past an hour or so. I have my own private views on a woman's right to choose, but this had nothing to do with an unwed teenaged girl trying to use abortion as birth control. This was a mother, trying to cope with the inevitable death of her unborn baby, to deal with her family's loss, and to come to terms with a horrible situation no one should have to go through. And then the church-affiliated hospital threw the word abortion in there, only adding to her pain.

I don't see anything holy or reverent or Godly in that. Not one thing. Not one bit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.