Skip to main content

You're gonna put that blade...where?!

My husband's obsessed. It's all Tour de France, all the time in our house until at least July 24 when Lance Armstrong will win for the seventh time in a row and we'll have to hear a zillion times about how he overcame nearly unbeatable odds, losing a testicle, beating cancer, developing into a cycling legend, and bedding a rocker babe named Sheryl. Blahblahblahblah. (nevermind the fact he still had enough cajones to abandon his wife and become an absentee dad to three beautiful children so he could suck face with Ms. Crow on the Champs Elysee on international television...)

Anyway, watching all this cycling got me thinking about body hair. Cyclists shave their legs so they can become even more aerodynamic and shave thousanths of a second off their time. Does it really make a difference? I mean, really, unless you look like an ape, I can't see the need. Same with swimmers. I was reading an article about how someday, men shaving their legs, chests, backs, etc, will be as common and accepted as women shaving underarms and legs. Everyday, non-superstar-athletes will pluck and shape their brows too. Most men might even try a bikini wax.

Why, guys? Why? You've got it made right now. The least you have to do is shave your face. And sometimes, you don't even have to do that, if you're trying to attract us women fond of a five o'clock shadow. Why put all that effort into making yourselves smooth and silky when, I'd venture to guess, most women enjoy you the way you are—a little rough around the edges. We'd give anything not to have to shave every day, but society says we must. Admit it guys, a woman raises her arm and you see anything resembling stubble or more, and you make a face, crack a joke, refer to thick-necked Eastern European women named Helga.

We shave. We pluck. We go to estheticians who slap hot wax on our nether regions then rip it off, yanking skin and drawing blood in the process. We inject botox. We apply mud masks. We exfoliate. We whiten our teeth and inject collagen to form pouty kissable lips. We scrape calluses off our feet and polish our nails. We wear 5 inch heels and push-up bras and pants that suck in our tummies. We put on makeup and mascara to lengthen those eyelashes we bat at you flirtaceously. We spend at least $100 every six weeks to cut and color our hair, so we can be blonde - cause they have more fun with you, or so we've heard - and hide any gray that begins to show. We pour ourselves into spandex and yoga or aerobicize or eliptical train our butts off...if we're lucky.

Men, you're telling me you wanna start this? You worldly GQ metrosexuals really want a part of this madness?

Fine. But do so at your own peril. I guarantee...you get prettier than us...your thighs get smaller than ours...and we'll make you pay. We'll figure out a way to alter your anatomy so you can give birth, too.

*****

Edited to add: My husband corrected me, as I figured he would. It's a myth, he says, that cyclers shave their legs for aerodynamic reasons. It seems that gaping wounds on shaved legs are easier to clean sand and gunk out of after wrecking. He also questioned whether women really do all that stuff for men, or if we're actually doing it for other women. He might have a point. Especially when many men are oblivious. After reading my blog entry, they're probably like, "you do WHAT to your WHAT???"

Back to your regularly scheduled blogramming...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.