Skip to main content

Life in balance?

At the last movie I went to, I watched a preview for an upcoming flick that seemed silly at first. Then the more I started thinking about it, the sadder I felt. It's supposed to be a comedy; if the main character were a real person, I'm guessing he wouldn't think it was very funny.

The movie, due out later this year, is "The 40-Year-Old Virgin."

They made the main character seem nerdy and goofy and inept. And I'm guessing that they might also hint at the notion that being a virgin at his age might make him freakish, an anomaly, darn near a leper. (When in actuality, most women would relish the fact that he's the last available man on the planet with whom she could truly have safe sex.) I'm guessing that most people would think I'm maybe thinking too much about this work of fiction. But at a time when kids are losing their virginity at an alarmingly early age, I found it quite disheartening that the entertainment industry and the media that cover it were going to pick on someone who wasn't promiscuous or dumb or evil.

I also started wondering just how common this might be. Why didn't this guy in this movie just at some point beg a female friend or hire a call girl or woo some desperate girl long enough to take care of business, then move on? Then I thought past the physical act to the other aspects of an intimate relationship that he might never have known...the pillow talk, the falling asleep and waking up in someone's arms, the second and third and fourth and 100th time (which I'm sure would be much more memorable, in the scheme of things, than that first interlude).

So I don't want to see this movie. Seems more like a tragic drama than a comedy.

But I did find out a few interesting tidbits surfing the net re: this topic (thanks to www.sexualrecords.com). The following are listed as the oldest known male virgins:

Nikola Tesla (1856-1943), Died age 87
Eccentric if brilliant inventor of electrical devices (among them the AC generators that power most of the world), Tesla was less successful at having a personal life. He shunned physical contact of any type, going so far as to feign hand injuries to avoid shaking hands with people he just met. One female acquaintance who grew enamored of Tesla reportedly took the initiative and tried to kiss him, causing the reticent inventor to recoil in terror. In all likelihood he died celibate at age 87.

Sir Isaac Newton (1642-1727), Died age 85
Newt, it seems, was such a prude that he didn’t get into any relationship until he was middle-aged, and most historians believe it went unconsummated. It’s also unlikely that he availed himself of, ah, commercial outlets.

Paul Erdos (1913-1996), Died age 83
Single throughout his life, Paul preferred to live a monkish, nomadic life devoted to his studies in mathematics (he published over 1,475 academic papers during his lifetime). Of his celibacy he made no secret, telling reporters that as a child he "could not stand physical pleasure."


Just something to think about...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.