Skip to main content

The gnashing of teeth

I could tell you what and when and how she'll say it. She could be Ginger in Clearwater, Kan., or Kelli in Ogden, Utah, or Lauri in Iowa City, Iowa. But her eyes will shoot me a menacing stare, peering over her little white mask past her bitter latex-covered fingers, and she'll start the succession of phrases meant to guilt and embarrass my mouth into submission.

• We're going to have to work for awhile on these front ones. (scrapescrapescrape) Quite a bit of build up right here (scratchscratchscratch).

• Most of the buildup seems to be in between. You could get that if you flossed more often.

• Hmmm. We've got a little blood here. Definitely more flossing (she says as she jams a thread of floss into my gum and saws like a steak knife through gristle).

• Do you drink coffee or tea? We have some stubborn stains here. Coffee? That explains it.

• You drink a lot of coffee?

• Oooh. Seems a little sensitive. Does it hurt when I do this? (F**k yes it hurts, are you an idiot?! There's a reason I'm hovering three feet off the chair!)

• I'll stop squirting this (arctic-like) cold water directly onto your (exposed nerves) teeth. But you really ought to try the Crest Sensitive toothpaste. I'll send home a sample, along with a dispenser of floss.

• Doctor, I think we ought to put a watch on number three. It looks a little suspicious. (poke, jab, pokepoke, jab with sharp metal object)

• Next time, we'll have you do x-rays. Number three's looking suspicious.

• And now let's finish up with the full mouth tissue exam, looking for signs of oral cancers. Just stick out your tongue. Stick it out. Oh...lookey at that! Your tongue's connected funny! How have you managed? I guess you've overcome any speech challenges. But, wow, (she says grabbing my tongue with a wad of gauze and flipping it over one way, then the other), that's interesting. (intherethting? I'll sthow ou intheresthting...)

All of this. And it was only a cleaning. No fillings. No visible cavities. You should hear the dental hygienist when the novocaine enters the syringe and they revv up the drill. You'd think I'd committed mass murder or beat a carload of children or stole food bound for famine-ravaged Ethiopia.

I brush at least twice a day. I periodically floss. I use fluoride. I pretend it's all fun so my son will someday have better habits than I do. And I do what I can to keep my teeth in my head and false ones out of my future. I'd like to swap jobs with the woman behind the mask just long enough to find out whether she deserves the same scolding and nitpicking she dishes out every six months. I'd scrape and poke and tsktsktsk and I'd tell her to put that in her pipe and smoke it.

Which would cause nasty yellow buildup, I'm sure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.