Skip to main content

'Cause I refuse to bite my tongue

Thought I'd share more than you'd ever want to know about the dysfunction of my tongue.

This from kidshealth.com:

Frenulum
Say: fren-yuh-lum
You've got a friend in your frenulum, the piece of skin that attaches your tongue to the bottom of your mouth. But if your frenulum is too short, that's called tongue-tied, and it can cause problems with your speech. Doctors sometimes do an operation to free up the tongue by snipping the frenulum.


My son had a little snip-snip on his frenulum soon after his birth because he couldn't stick out his tongue correctly to nurse. Now he won't be speech impaired, and he won't suffer the shame I face every time I visit a new dentist or see a new dental hygienist and become the freak of the week.

Something I didn't know, however, is that there also exists a bit of exclusively male anatomy that shares the name of the thingey under everyone's tongue. Tongue-tied or not, that piece of information might render anyone speechless. Reading on, I discovered that we women have one, too. So, guys, don't think yours is anything special.

In fact, an alternative definition I found explained that a frenulum is a small spine-like lobe that projects from a moth's hind wing. This structure helps hold the hind wings and the fore wings together while the moth is flying.

Generally defined, according to the National Institutes of Health, the frenulum is any small fold of tissue that connects a more fixed part to a movable part.

My suggestion: Be very sure you understand exactly what's getting the old snip-snip when and if the doc ever tells you that you require a frenotomy.


Edited to add:

My husband came to my defense and said he has witnessed absolutely no negative effects from my lingual defect; he advised me to note that I can tie a maraschino cherry stem in a knot with my tongue.

Be impressed, he said, be very impressed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.