Skip to main content

Beattie The King

I just finished Robert Beattie's book, "Nightmare in Wichita: The Hunt for the BTK Strangler." I can overlook the misspellings and misplaced punctuation. I can understand the occasional glitch in chronology or consistency, given that the author, a Wichita attorney, had to frantically finish the book and get it to press once suspect Dennis Rader had been apprehended.

But what I cannot stomach are the last few pages when Beattie uses a parade of quotes by people close to the investigation to hammer readers over the head with the notion that if it weren't for Bob Beattie writing his book, BTK would've never resurfaced and Rader would still be living his suburbia dogcatcher existence.

The book started out as a tribute to the hard work, dedication, and persistence of law enforcement. It developed into a remembrance of the victims and their survivors. Then it ended as a rather vomitous, gloating, back-slapping display of self-centered limelight-hogging.

Reminded me a little of the showboating that Saturday morning, the day following Rader's capture, when the smug Chief Williams swaggered up to the podium and announced "BTK is Arrested," as though the world should cheer wildly at the brilliance of the police department—and the 50 zillion other law enforcement agencies and public officials who claimed credit for nabbing the bad guy. After all...it only took 30 years.

If it weren't for the maniacal, sadistic, murderous tendencies of a serial killer, the Oteros, Shirley Relford, Kathy Bright, Nancy Fox, Vicki Wegerle, Dee Davis, and Marine Hedge would still be alive. BTK sure sought public attention for that. Let's just hope Rader wants to take credit publicly, too.

People hoping for courtroom dramatics today will have to wait a while longer. This just in from The Wichita Eagle:

Rader waives hearing, to appear in court May 3
Updated: 9:23

Wearing shackles and a bulletproof vest under his gray striped suit, BTK suspect Dennis Rader waived his preliminary hearing this morning before Sedgwick County District Judge Greg Waller.

As a result, Waller said he found that there was probable cause to believe that Rader, 60, should be tried for the crimes with which he is charged.

He is charged with 10 counts of first-degree murder related to the notorious BTK serial killings, a case that has haunted Wichita for 31 years.

He is now scheduled to appear in court May 3 for arraignment, at which time he will be expected to enter a plea of guilty, not guilty, or no contest. If he pleads not guilty, a trial date will be set at that time.

His hearing this morning lasted only a few minutes.

Comments

Brianne said…
Oh yeah - I can relate. The misspellings and mistakes drove me NUTS. And I didn't approve of his taking credit for BTK's resurfacing either. I didn't like his wife either. She was my doctor for a good session or two. Horrible bedside manners. Just plain rude and condescending. But I did like all the other facts included that I didn't know before - gave me nightmares, but fascinating all the same.
I just got finished with the book about Ruth Finley, "Little Girl Fly Away." This also contains a plethora of misspellings and bad grammar but minus the egotistical factor. I recommend it.
Amy said…
I have read the Ruth Finley book...read it right after BTK resurfaced last spring. I remember the stuff about the Poet a lot more than anything about BTK during the '70s. It's all freaky, though.

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.