Skip to main content

A mouse in the house

Henry's in love with a girl named Maisy. She's a curious sort, with funky polka-dot and striped clothing combinations that take me back to the days of Punky Brewster. She's quite social, has an adorable (albeit unfortunately large) nose. Her birthday is Feb. 10. And she even has her own television show.

Maisy is a mouse—a cartoon mouse created by Lucy Cousins, an acclaimed author-illustrator who lives and works in Hampshire, England. (And as far as I know, Dr. Dobson hasn't labeled Maisy as any sort of deviant misfit on a mission to turn children into delinquents. Although it's only a matter of time, I'm sure, seeing as how Maisy spends an awful lot of time with her "friend" Tallulah and often has rainbow-colored objects around her.)

My husband and I love Maisy, too. She's a happy, positive character who enjoys being around her eclectic group of friends. She celebrates the simple things in life. And she has a "security bear" named Panda, which reminds us of H's favorite beddybye bear, Rushmore—sent to him by his friend Tate in South Dakota.

She has great adventures, while teaching readers about numbers, colors, shapes, and so on. Plus, being in the publications business, Tim and I appreciate the font that the author uses for text. It's actually a font called "Lucy Cousins," created especially for this series of books.

Cousins' Maisy books have sold more than 12 million copies worldwide, and the made-for-TV cartoons air 9 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. seven days a week on the cable network NOGGIN. The noggin web site at www.noggin.com has printable Maisy cartoons for kids to color. Maisy's Fun Club web site, which you can check out by clicking on this post's headline, also features coloring, reading, and other fun kids' activities.

We're trying not to let H watch too many TV or DVD shows. Although, I think we might be too late, since he has learned to grab the remote control and the DVD case and bring them to us saying "ohdeeoh" (toddlerspeak translation: video). And we try not to get too exasperated when he's brought us the same book for the 15th time in a row, plopping in our laps and expecting us to read it...just one more time. We'll probably mess him up one way or another. But for now, I think if he's going to be influenced, might as well be by Maisy. She's a good critter.

(And I'm trying my hardest not to buy that $50 Maisy doll I saw at the mall last weekend.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.