Skip to main content

Looking forward

Ever since I can remember, I've been looking forward. Everyone does it. Eagerly anticipating the next step, the next stage, the next milestone. Parents do it with their kids from the beginning, although I'm not sure whether it's a nature or nurture thing. Do kids learn to anticipate the "next thing" in their lives by watching their parents do it, or do they simply have an inherent instinct to be impatient for tomorrow to arrive.

Moms and Dads can't wait for Baby's birth. Then look forward to the first smile, the first laugh, the first tooth, the first solids, the first unassisted sitting, the first standing-ups, the first steps, the first words. From the time my niece learned to talk, when people asked her how old she was she'd say "ahmot toooo" which meant almost two. She had long abandoned her first year in favor of the next one.

People can't wait until kids are out of diapers, next thing you know they're going to preschool then kindergarten. When you're in primary school you can't wait to be a big kid, when you're in middle school you desperately crave high school life, once you're in high school it's all about preparing for college. Then, at college, if you don't get too wrapped up in parties and drinking and sex, you aim for that four-year goal: graduation. Finally, a real adult in the real world. Unless you just can't get enough matriculation, or you just don't want to grow up just yet, or you want to make yourself more marketable and boost your paycheck—and go to grad school or a professional program.

Let's say you land that first post-college job. Then, for many, it's one rung after another on the corporate ladder, step by step by step, to top brass in your field.

Somewhere in there, you start ticking off accomplishments in your personal life: from first crush as a youngster to first love to first lover to first rebound relationship to marriage proposal to engagement to marriage to first house. Then, as you're ticking off those accomplishments, your biological clock starts tick-tocking away. Trying to get pregnant, getting pregnant, marking off the stages from zygote to embryo to fetus to birth.

If you're lucky and blessed, so the cycle goes...

But after you've got the job and the partner and the kid and the house with the picket fence and the pet and the perfect life...what next? Do you get a different job? Do you live through your kids and countdown the days to their milestones until they're where you are? Do you wake up one day and wonder what you're looking forward to anymore?


I don't want to countdown the next 30 years, desperately longing for retirement (for one reason, without Social Security, I'm not sure anyone will be retiring anymore). Then what? The move to the retirement community? Then to the assisted living center, then to the nursing home? When will my teeth fall out? When will I break my hip? And we all know where it goes from there.

So I'm going to start a list of stuff to do between now and retirement. I'd like to fill my days with more than the same old, same old day after day, month after month, year after year, for a lifetime. I'll ponder and come up with my list in the days to come. Stay tuned. In the meantime, maybe you'll start your own.

Comments

Anonymous said…
How about: Go to a rock concert intended for people half your age?

Avril Lavigne is coming to Moline in July.
Brianne said…
I'm already trying to do that. Well, at least I want to as soon as I have a real job and money. I want to take swing lessons and tango lessons and all sorts of other hobbies.
Oh and now I am "ahmoht" 24. Eek!

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.