Skip to main content

If you were a dog, what dog would you be?

A friend sent me a link to an online quiz that is supposed to calculate, based on your answers about your temperament and features, what breed of canine you're most similar to. I thought, that's great! I always thought of myself as a Labrador retriever (although I'm not sure I ever actually saw myself as a "dog" until yesterday...and that brings up a whole other subject about how I don't appreciate being referred to as a dog...but I'll drop it for now). Labs are friendly, love kids, are eager to please, and if they don't have enough exercise, have a tendency to put on a few extra pounds. I can relate.

However, once I answered the questions about what kind of work I do, what kind of qualities describe me, and so on, the quiz calculator did its magic. And it determined I am a basenji.

A basenji? I'm not a basenji. Couldn't be. I didn't know much about the breed except that they can seem aloof and they are known for having no doggie odor. Now, I used to be rather shy and people might have thought I was aloof, but I certainly have never smelled like a dog. So maybe the test was on to something.

I had to read more about the basenji. So I checked out the Basenji Companions web site. This was the site's description of the breed known as "the barkless dog from Africa"...

"Typically, Basenjis adore people. Most Basenjis love to be petted, to be hugged, and to be with you. They are wonderful companions and love to be loved. If raised with them, they will follow children anywhere. (Like children, however, Basenjis can also be very demanding of your time and attention.) They are comical, quizzical, highly intelligent and full of energy. It is hard to be depressed around a Basenji—-they have such zest for life. They seem to feel that each new day brings a new challenge, something new to see and explore (even if they have seen and explored it yesterday...) If Basenjis were Irish, they’d probably be leprechauns. Basenjis smell your breath and your clothes every time you come in for clues as to what you've been eating, where you have been, and what you have been up to. Every time you come in the door they greet you with great joy as if they hadn’t seen you for months."


Wow! That sounds like a wonderful description of me, or who I'd like to aspire to be.

However, there was one bit of the description that I don't think quite fits me.
"Known as 'the barkless dog from Africa,' they are silent most of the time."


Everyone I've shared that part with immediately guffawed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.