Skip to main content

Brilliant mind, brilliant movie

Alfred Kinsey might be my new hero.
We went to see the movie Kinsey last night, and although I'd heard the researcher's name before, I had no idea how his groundbreaking studies on human sexuality changed the world. For the better, I believe. Yeah, so I'm a way-left-leaning, bleeding-heart liberal. Not really a shocker to those who know me well. I'm sure Bush and his bible-thumping, fundamentalist buddies would vehemently disagree with me. Let 'em. Nothing's going to change their minds. The world has no shades of gray, in their eyes. I'd quote a Bible verse that they might bring up in order to prove their point, but they could twist around anyone's words to fit their own purposes. And besides, I don't quote the Bible because...well, just because.

If you're just not into this topic, now's the time to bow out and visit again tomorrow for a new post.

What a bunch of uptight, freaked-out, whiney, holier-than-thou hypocrits. Who lie, cheat, steal, kill...but somehow think it's their business to stick their noses and righteousness into what goes on behind closed doors between consenting adults. But I'm not going to make this post about THEM. I'm going to make it about Kinsey and his life's work. Granted, he was rather one dimensional in that all he thought about was studying sex. Kind of the ultimate example of what most women believe: it's all men think about, 24/7. :-)

He also completely ignored the idea of "love" and looked at sex strictly as a function of the nature of the human "animal." Maybe I'm a romantic idealist. But I'd like to think that, in most cases, people are intimate because they feel an emotional connection. Not just because they want to fulfill some carnal need.

At any rate, the findings of the Kinsey studies are still worth a long look and an open discussion:

• Kinsey Scale

Males do not represent two discrete populations, heterosexual and homosexual. The world is not to be divided into sheep and goats. It is a fundamental of taxonomy that nature rarely deals with discrete categories... The living world is a continuum in each and every one of its aspects, (p 639).

While emphasizing the continuity of the gradations between exclusively heterosexual and exclusively homosexual histories, it has seemed desirable to develop some sort of classification which could be based on the relative amounts of heterosexual and homosexual experience or response in each history... An individual may be assigned a position on this scale, for each period in his life.... A seven-point scale comes nearer to showing the many gradations that actually exist, (pp. 639, 656)

—Kinsey, et al. (1948). Sexual Behavior in the Human Male.

0- Exclusively heterosexual with no homosexual
1- Predominantly heterosexual, only incidentally homosexual
2- Predominantly heterosexual, but more than incidentally homosexual
3- Equally heterosexual and homosexual
4- Predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual
5- Predominantly homosexual, only incidentally heterosexual
6- Exclusively homosexual

Kinsey estimated that nearly 46% of the male population had engaged in both heterosexual and homosexual activities, or "reacted to" persons of both sexes, in the course of their adult lives (p. 656, Male). 11.6% of white males (ages 20-35) were given a rating of 3 (about equal heterosexual and homosexual experience/response) on the 7-point Kinsey Heterosexual-Homosexual Rating Scale for this period of their lives (Table 147, p. 651, Male).
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

• Nudity

Kinsey found that attitudes toward nudity differed by level of education and socioeconomic status. Still, about half (41%) of males in the College Sample reported sleeping nude, and half of the married females in the sample had regularly slept nude, (p. 366 Male and p. 365, Female).
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

• Premarital sex

Occurs in:
Males:
67-98%, depending on socioeconomic level.
68% by age 18 had experienced premarital coitus, (p. 549-52, and Table 136, p. 550, Male).
Females:
about 50%, (p. 286, and Table 75, p. 333 and Table 79, p. 337, Female).
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

• Extramarital sex

Males: Kinsey estimated that approximately 50% of all married males had some extramarital experience at some time during their married lives (p. 585, 587, Male).
Females: Among the sample, 26% of females had had extramarital sex by their forties. Between 1 in 6 and 1 in 10 females from age 26 to 50 were engaged in extramarital sex, (p. 416, Female).
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

For a complete, and so-detailed-it-might-make-you-blush, rundown of results, click here: Kinsey Institute.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.