Skip to main content

Will the real BTK please stand up?!

Yesterday, I thought a 30-year serial killer mystery had been solved. Truly, I did. The goings-on of Wichita police officers made the national news. That nearly NEVER happens. Cops raided a house in south Wichita, and dragged a man off to jail in handcuffs. Speculation started, rumors ran rampant, TV media personalities broadcast this man's name all over the place and talked to neighbors, and before he knew what hit him—this poor man had been branded BTK. It's him!, cried the masses. Lynch him! Burn him at the stake! Caught, tried, and convicted on the city streets, in a matter of hours.

A travesty. That's what Police Chief Norman Williams called it. I must admit, I jumped to the "it's him" conclusion almost immediately. I SO wanted it to be him, so that the people of southcentral Kansas could rest easier. So that every man between the ages of 45 and 70 in the metro area could walk free without suspicious eyes following him. So that men in town who are train buffs or who live near railroad tracks or who ever knew some girl named Petra wouldn't fear a surprise visit from the SWAT, er, SWAB team.

Instead, everyone's still suspicious of everyone else, and this poor man's name will be dripping goo for months since his unfortunate drag through the mud. BTK is still on the loose, or at least whoever is playing this attention-grabbing BTK-ish cat-and-mouse game.

I thought they caught him on my birthday, Dec. 1. What a present...although the real gift would be to the families of the victims. I felt sadness and disappointment yesterday, and I'm hundreds of miles away and in no way directly connected to the crimes. Can you imagine how those closest to the investigation felt? We all have to go on—police, checking out all the new leads; media, digging for answers and continuing to tell the story; citizens, locking their doors and watching for suspicious behavior; victims' loved ones, getting through another day and hoping justice will someday be done.

Meanwhile, I'll keep obsessing. I'll read the BTK online bulletin boards (for example, The BTK Strangler case at Kansas.com and stories from the paper and TV web sites. And I'll hope. Putting this lunatic behind bars would be a great way for everyone to ring in the new year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.