Skip to main content

Latest BTK Buzz

Yesterday afternoon, online BTK-related bulletin boards went berzerk, as rumors swirled about the Wichita Police Department scheduling a press conference for 10 a.m. Tuesday. Did they have a suspect in custody? Were the last few letters a hoax? Has there been another murder? Have cold cases been linked to BTK—a serial killer who claimed the lives of eight people in Wichita, Kan., from 1974 to 1986.

Indeed, they held the press conference. I feared that (as they have several times since the serial killer resurfaced last spring to send correspondence taking credit for the eighth murder—of Vicki Wegerle in 1986) police would read a brief statement, refuse to take questions, and decline interviews with the media afterwards.

While they still may not be willing to discuss the case, they certainly surprised me (and many others) with the following info, as written in the official WPD release. Do YOU know this guy???

Since March 2004, BTK has sent numerous communications to the media and the police. In these letters, he has provided certain background information about himself, which he claims is accurate. Based upon a review of that information, the following facts about BTK are being made available to the public in the hopes of identifying BTK:
• He claims he was born in 1939, which would make his current age 64 or 65.
• His father died in World War II, and his mother raised him.
• His mother was forced to work, so his grandparents cared for him.
• His mother worked during the day near the railroad.
• He had a cousin named Susan, who moved to Missouri.
• His family moved a lot, but always lived near a railroad.
• His grandfather played the fiddle and died of a lung disease.
• His mother started dating a railroad detective when BTK was around 11 years old. This relationship would have occurred during the years 1950-1955.
• In the early 1950s he built and operated a ham radio.
• He has participated in outdoor hobbies including hunting, fishing and camping.
• As a youth he attended church and Sunday school.
• He had a female, Hispanic acquaintance named Petra, who had a younger sister named Tina.
• Around 1960, he went to tech military school. He then joined the military for active duty and was discharged in 1966.
• He has a basic knowledge of photography and the ability to develop and print pictures.
• In 1966 he moved back in with his mother who had re-married and was renting out part of her house.
• His first job was as an electro-mechanic, requiring some travel.
• After attending more tech school, he worked repairing copiers and business equipment; this sometimes required travel and he was away from home for extended periods.
• He admits to soliciting prostitutes.
• He has a lifetime fascination with railroads and trains.
Based upon the investigation to date, police believe that BTK:
• Frequented the WSU campus in the early 1970s.
• Was acquainted with PJ Wyatt, who taught a folklore class at WSU during the 1970s.
• Has written or still writes poetry. An example of this is the “Oh Anna, Why Didn’t You Appear” poem and the “Oh! Death to Nancy” poem that were released in earlier media advisories.
• Utilized fake identification to gain access to people’s homes or to conduct surveillance.

Based upon the information contained in the letter, police are again asking for help from the public. Police want to talk to any citizen who currently knows, or recalls anyone having a similar background to the one described above. Citizens with information who are calling locally are asked to call 383-8273; those calling from outside the Wichita area are asked to call 1-866-SOLVBTK (1-866-765-8285). They can also e-mail information to coldcase@wichita.gov or mail information to Cold Case, P.O. Box 9202, Wichita, KS 67277-0202.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Separated-At-Birth, Batman!

Gary Oldman...meet Uncle Knit-Knots from Imagination Movers.

Hair

This has become the age-old question...Why do men hate short hair on women? I've been thinking about this a lot because my current style, an angled bob, requires a bunch of fussing every morning to get it to do anything. My favorite haircut of all time, as far as ease of care, was my pixie cut. I loved that I could wash it, gel it, and be done. No blow drying or flattening or curling. Just gel and go. Very sporty. I thought it looked cute. My husband has another opinion. The longer the better is his motto. Thing is, my hair becomes an unruly, tangled, nappy mop when it gets long. If I had all the time in the world and Jennifer Aniston's budget, I'd be more than happy to grow it long and have others style it every day. In real life, I guess I'd rather go for comfort and convenience. And if you ask me, I think the pixie is dang cute. I suspect heterosexual men aren't hot on short hair, in general, because it's too much like their own hair. No matter how much jewel

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal.