Skip to main content

We almost got Scrooged

This is the time of year when Tim and I usually tell each other not to look too closely to the credit card statements -- for fear that we'll figure out what we're getting from each other for Christmas.

However, we're going to be paying eagle-eye attention on our bills and card activity from now on.

Yesterday, Wells Fargo contacted us to investigate whether we'd been trying to withdraw large-ish sums of cast from an ATM.

IN SPAIN.

It seems that someone tried two times to get a cash advance from our VISA credit card, $100 one time, $400 the other. Evidently, this person either didn't have a proper PIN or the bank denied the withdrawals on the assumption that Tim and Amy are entirely too poor and boring to A) try getting $400 out at one time or B) wind up anywhere east of Cleveland.

So, boys and girls, here's your holiday warning from Officer McGruff...beware. Some people from Santa's naughty list are lurking. I give an extra candy cane and shot of egg nog to our bank for being so alert.

And Tim, if you see a large purchase from Nikon on our Discover bill, I WISH it was from me. But it wasn't. So call the 800-number quickly. Someone is gallivanting around Europe, no doubt, shooting the scenery with a new D700, courtesy of you.

Happy Holidays. People suck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...