Skip to main content

My Big Lowfat Greek Dinner

Is it possible to fall in love with a recipe? That must be beyond weird. So I won't say that. Instead, I say, "Try this!" It's one of the best low-cal recipes I've ever made, which is a nice way to end the year and start a new, resolution-filled one. Don't get scared away by thinking it's "diet" food. It's rich tasting and very, very different. In a good way. You might even want to experiment by adding a few kalamata olives and maybe a bit of chopped cucumber.

Greek Wraps
from the Weight Watchers Quick, Light and Healthy Cookbook

Vegetable cooking spray
8 oz. lean ground round
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups hot cooked rice (cooked without salt or fat)
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/4 cup reduced-fat feta cheese crumbles
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 (8 inch) flour tortillas
Fresh spinach leaves
Mild pepperocini rings

1. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add ground round and onion; saute 5 minutes or until beef is browned and onion is tender, stirring until beef crumbles. Drain well.

2. Combine beef mixture, cooked rice, and next 7 ingredients; stir well. Lay warmed tortillas on a flat surface. Line with spinach leaves. Spread beef mixture evenly over tortillas and add pepperocini rings to taste; roll up tortillas jellyroll fashion. Wrap in aluminum foil; cut in half to serve.

Each half a wrap is 3 points (makes 8, 3-point servings). Or you can just ignore all the counting and enjoy the flavor. Opaa!

Comments

These sound delicious! I think I might be able to even make them -- MAYBE. I don't have a lot of skill in the kitchen. But maybe my new Slap Chop will help! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Ho, Ho, Ho, How Many Times Can I Use "I'm too busy" as an Excuse?

I haven't had time to write. Work, swim meet volunteering, holiday decorating and shopping. But truthfully, I've not been in much of a mood to write anything anyway. Last night we put up the tree and Santa chachkies, and I drank my first egg nog of the season, so perhaps I'll be in a cheerier mood. Also, I have spent some time writing the annual Schoon holiday newsletter. If you happen to get a copy, treat it like a drinking game. Every time I make you roll your eyes, take a drink. Nog, wassail, Everclear. Whatever gets you through. One sure way to assist with merriment motivation is listening to Christmas carols. I'm not going to get into a debate over what truly constitutes a carol. You can "Jesus is the reason for the season" yourself until you turn blue; I generally lean toward the secular end of the holiday tune spectrum. And if you just gasped at my use of holiday instead of Christmas, go suck on a candy cane. It's my blog and my opinions. Deal. ...

IHATE IHOP Update

Tim went a few rounds, verbally, with the IHOP manager on Sunday and ended up getting our meal for half price. He still had to pay, though. I do not think that these people understand the severity of their incompetence. Or perhaps they just do not care. Someone commented to us that perhaps we should tell the IHOP folks what happened to the last restaurant that did us wrong. Recall the lactating masses who came out in support of us when we were booted from Hoover House restaurant in West Branch because I refused to breastfeed my baby in the bathroom? Remember the stories that ran in every newspaper and on every TV news show in the state -- and beyond? I'd like to point out that the Hoover House (which interestingly enough doubled as a venue for wet T-shirt contests on weekends) went out of business after our little incident. And for those of you who were befuddled and wondering how the police got involved on Sunday...someone from IHOP took the time to run out and write down our lice...

In memoriam...

I remember the first time I heard the name "Les Anderson." A bunch of Wichita State University communication majors were sitting around on campus, talking about classes they planned to take. Several people warned me: watch out for Les Anderson. He was tough. He had a murderous grading scale. It was nearly impossible to get an A. They weren't kidding. But he wasn't tough just to be a tyrant. From his teaching sprang a fleet of incredible, successful journalists, writers, editors, broadcasters, public relations experts, advertisers, non-profit professionals...I could go on and on. Most importantly, he created a legion of people who wanted to make a difference in the world. The greatest gift Les gave to them all? He believed in them, cared about them for their own personal stories as well as the stories they told for class assignments or in the pages of his hometown newspaper. Les was my teacher. My boss. My mentor. My conscience. My champion. My friend. When I started c...